Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spring is here (maybe)

I think spring is here now.  At least its here enough that I think I can plant my first seeds.  Today was great at 20 degrees.  I saw that southern alberta got blasted with a big snow storm yesterday.  Last weekend we had some really bad frozen rain/snow but I hope that is it for the year.
The last two years I have planted carrots, lettuce, and spinach in the fall just before snow(late Octoberish).  This worked relatively well because I had some things germinate when the ground was still too wet to work in early May.  Overall probably half of the seeds germinated.  I have tried peas but this doesn't seem to work.   With the lack of rain last year and snowfall this year there is no problem with wet soil for the most part.  This fall I didn't get around to getting seeds in the ground so I probably won't have things up as early unless we get a really nice spring.
Anyways, lets forget about what I didn't do last year and focus on today.  II put in a few feet of Mesclun and a few feet of spinach under my small hoop greenhouse.  This weekend I will plant some carrots and try to plant more lettuce/spinach every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment